The skin is the largest organ. It has two functions : Excretion of toxins and Secretion of oil and sweat. When we experience free radical damage it means that we have lost oxygen molecules in our skin and the aging process begins when we Oxidize. . Antioxidants protect skin by limiting the production of free radicals, which can damage skin cells. Antioxidants in skin care products can do a lot for the health and appearance of your skin, including reducing the signs of aging. From calming inflamed skin to tightening and toning, antioxidants offer great benefits from natural sources.
The Top 5 Reasons why it is important to add antioxidants in our skin regime and in Skin Treatments are:
- Anti-inflammation: One of the most desirable benefits of antioxidants in skin-care products is the calming of inflammation. Antioxidants, such as alpha lipoic acid and others found in pine bark and green tea, produce valuable anti-inflammatory results by increasing circulation and cell metabolism. Reducing inflammation promotes more even skin tone and helps keep acne and wrinkles at bay
- Skin firming: Another top benefit of antioxidant skin care is skin firming. Antioxidants may actually reverse the effects of aging by improving skin health and rejuvenating its appearance. Coenzyme Q-10, or CoQ-10, is a common skin-firming antioxidant and is great for use in eye creams and products that are meant to tone the skin. Try moisturizers and other skin treatments with skin-firming antioxidants.
- Reduced appearance of wrinkles: Although it is nearly impossible to make wrinkles disappear, skin-care products with antioxidants can help plump out the skin and make it appear more youthful. Most antioxidants are great for reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, but vitamins C and E are especially beneficial. Many products and creams for use around the eyes or other problem areas incorporate these vitamins.
- Scar treatment: Reducing the appearance of scar tissue is another important benefit of antioxidants in skin care. Scar tissue has a different cell structure than that of healthy skin, making it rigid. Many types of antioxidants, including those found in aloe and an onion extract called allium, increase blood flow to scar tissue, minimizing the look of the scar and blending in the development of new skin. Antioxidant-rich scar treatment products are available in a variety of forms, including gels, patches and creams.
- Repair of sun damage: We all know that too much sun is dangerous, but it can also be bad for your skin’s appearance, drying it out and damaging cells. Sun damage can make skin appear tough and wrinkly. Antioxidants that stimulate blood flow in the skin can help encourage the growth of new cells and make sun-damaged skin appear younger. Many antioxidant-rich beauty products are available for treating sun damage, including cleansers and moisturizers that you can use on your entire body.